Friday, May 8, 2015

Scrapbook Friday: Scrapping with Paper Collections

In the United States, the first Saturday in May is designated "National Scrapbook Day." I think the tradition began with Creative Memories way back in 1994. I used to go to crops to celebrate, but this year I contented myself by treating myself to some quality scrapbooking time. It was a perfect time to keep up on my plan to scrap at least four layouts a month and share them here on my blog on Fridays. I'm sharing two layouts today - both created using paper collections. This layout might look familiar - it uses the same sketch as this layout, which was based on Amanda's April Scraplift challenge. I read a comment that said this is a perfect way to use a 6x6 paper pack and that comment stuck in my brain. So, when I had a bunch of miscellaneous photographs as my only photographs from Christmas 2012, I grabbed the Kringle and Co. 6x6 paper pad from American Crafts to make this layout. The only other thing I added was some ink for edging and two 12x12 pieces of craft cardstock for the background. You can click on the layout to enlarge it and see the details.
I made this layout, featuring the professionally taken team and individual photographs from Clara's cross country season, using Club Scrap's Marathon collection. It went together really quickly, and I really like it. I guess that's what I like about using paper collections.  It makes it easy to make a coordinated layout, especially if there's a theme to the layout that matches the collection. Do you use paper collections when you scrap? Got any good recommendations? Oh, and do you celebrate National Scrapbook Day?

8 comments:

Sian said...

I really do like the idea of using each 6x6 piece almost as a mini layout before you combine them. I think I'm going to have to have a go at that.

Paper collections? I'm more of a kit user. I run out of steam if I have a whole collection to use up

Melissa said...

I celebrate NSD by hosting a crop here - this year Mama and my friend Thayer joined me.

I really like the way the 6x6 paper pad worked so perfect to pull together those photos on your first layout - the craft cardstock was a great background, too.

In the past I haven't done much with paper collections, but I do use them much more often now that I'm on our (not-so) LSS's design team. It does make it easy to put together a layout once the photos are chosen.

scrappyjacky said...

I have so many 6 x 6 pads....I really should use them more in this way.
Love your second LO.

Linda said...

Oh I had forgotten it is NSD on the first Sat of May! I am off to my local crop today, but I must admit that numbers attending are dwindling to almost zero! I like to use paper collections, and am using one to do my California holiday scrapbook at the moment. Will post some pics on my blog soon!
I really like the way you've used the 6x6 papers. I rarely use my 6x6 paper pads, maybe it's time to get them out!

Lady Ella said...

I've just spied what's appeared in your sidebar!! :o)

Karen said...

I just purged my 6X6 paper pads. I do use them in my Project Life pages, but more often in card making. I have a whole bag of pads to give to my friend on Tuesday, but I do have three new pads on their way. It's a sickness.

Susanne said...

I am a big fan of paper collections too. After the first run through with them, then I kit them up with other stuff. But I like letting the manufacturers do the work for me. Your pages turned out great, glad you had a productive NSD. Me, not so much.

Gail said...

I usually do celebrate NSD or INSD would be more like it seeing as I'm in Canada. :) I really like the idea of using the 6x6 paper pads on that Christmas layout and the Marathon paper is perfect for your pages on Clara's running. Your goal of 4 a week is really coming along. I should set a goal like that and then maybe there would be a reduction in photos to be scrapped.